Friday, November 2, 2007

The Ethics Behind the A.D.A Choices

First I want to say that this was a tough article to read; I mean where do you really draw the line when you are deciding what is the best way to raise money for a charity that is trying to fight one of America's worst diseases? I firmly believe that raising money for a good cause is always beneficial, however, I do agree that there should be limitations.

I don't think it would have been a wise decision for the A.D.A to sign a sponsorship with Burger King and I was relieved when I saw that it turned the fast-food restaurant down. However, I don't see a problem with a company who is a producer of both high-calorie and low-calorie foods. Let's think about it logically, how many organizations do we really know that don't produce both kinds of foods? There are of course the organic foods, but that is still an up and coming change and not many people have adapted to it. But look at company's like Kellogg, they make excellent healthy food, but not all of it is healthy. For example, they make pop-tarts one of the most high in calorie, fats and sweets breakfast items there is.

Also, I think the A.D.A is taking steps in the right direction. It eliminated a sponsorship with Hershey as well as other companies and it turned down a sponsorship with Burger King. I mean the A.D.A is sacrificing a lot of money because they want to make sure people trust them and make sure that they are being as ethical as possible. To be honest I don't blame the A.D.A for not turning away Cadbury. I mean it brings in the majority of their sponsorship money and as long as it only promotes their healthy food products where is the harm?

No comments: