Friday, November 30, 2007

Diversity and the Workplace

I can't think of anything more annoying and closed minded then individuals who can not see past race, creed, or religion. I think is especially detrimental for people in a work environment. I don't see how any company can have any tolerance for not accepting diversity.

When I was working as an intern, one of my fellow interns came to me really upset. When I asked her what was wrong she had told me that OUR supervisor and other superordinate were mocking black males and acting like gangsters. Being that my friend was black she felt really upset by their narrow minded behavior and couldn't understand why they would even think that was acceptable behavior. I completely agreed with her and felt awful for her that it had happened in the first place. It was especially hard for her to handle, because she was the ONLY minority that we worked with, everyone else was white.

When this happened I never really thought that this company needs more diversity and understanding. Now after taking this class, I can look at how that company was not diversified enough and obviously did not make an effort to make my friend feel accepted. Even if the actions of our colleagues was only meant to be playful and non-offensive the bottom line is that it was and being our superordinate, they should have known better.

No comments: