Thursday, October 18, 2007

Glengarry Glenn Ross

After watching Memet's play I walked away feeling a little overwhelmed, probably because I have never heard the "f bomb" dropped so much in two hours in my whole life. But aside from that I couldn't believe all the backstabbing, manipulation and unethical behavior that was going on throughout the whole play.

It is clear to see how Mamet views the ethics of the business world. If I had never known anything about the business world and I never knew anything about ethics and morals in the business world, I think I would have walked away from the play thinking to myself "Is this really how the business world is suppsoed to operate?" I don't personally believe that all organizations are cut throat like this. However, I do believe that some may exist. I also don't think that currently sales people and organizations do not need to be so cut throat. I mean the sales world is competitive, we all know that, but taking it to the extreme that Mamet took is in my opinion a little over the top and outdated.

It is really disturbing to think that there are probably some businesses out there that are really like that. There was nothing but bribery, blackmail, stealing, cheating, etc. I mean you name anything unethical and it was portrayed in this play. I think the only ethical decision that was made by anyone was when the boss turned in the guys who robbed the place, and still he didn't even do it for the right reasons -- he did it cause he didn't like the guys.

I realize that there is competition in the sales industry and keeping the numbers high is what keeps you in the business, but doing it unethically is not the direction you should take. Just take this play as a prime example of everything that is done wrong in sales.

No comments: